Chasing Contentment

Sunday, June 24

Today is our official one year anniversary here in Florida.

On the way home from picking up the boys at the airport yesterday, Griff told me that he wished we still lived in Louisiana. And Griff's friend, Will, told Mike last week that he wished Mike hadn't gotten his doctorate because if he hadn't, we'd still live there. So there's still some adjusting for all of us to do.

Now, on the flip side, Eliza has stopped referring to this house as her 'new house,' and I consider that a big step in the right direction. She's young enough that she won't remember our time in Louisiana, and this will always be home to her. The rest of us will get there.

I told Griff yesterday that this first year here was about us getting our bearings, about us getting settled. This next year is going to be our year to shine, to figure out what we love about Florida and what Florida loves about us.

I've got a list of 101 Things to do in 1001 Days, and I think what we need is a list of things to do in our second year in Florida. So here goes...

Chel's Second Year in Florida Lovin' It List
1. Find a church and immerse ourselves in it.
2. Pick a favorite pizza place.
3. Plant a lime tree.
4. Get Mike to fix the flag hanger, so I can fly the flag.
5. Take a beading class.
6. Take several yoga classes.
7. Frequent the downtown farmer's market so we can eat healthier.
8. Do more things together as a family... see more movies, play putt-putt, go to the park. (Griff's suggestion)
9. Find a family we could be friends with... for all of us. (Mike's suggestion)
10. Go to the library more. I'd like to join a book club... maybe find or start one for Griff, too. (Griff's suggestion)
11. Fix a patio-type thing for Mike's grill next to the back porch.
12. Attend all of the local festivals, outdoor concerts, and the like that we can.
13. Develop a monthly ritual for the four of us.
14. Volunteer.
15. Find ways to make our home greener.
16. Find a job I don't hate.

[  posted by Chel on Sunday, June 24, 2007  ]
[   2 comments  ]


2 Comments:

I cannot believe you have already been in Florida for a year! Good grief! It seems like you were just moving. I know to you it probably seems like forever, but wow.

I like your list. :-)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:36 PM  

I wish I were there to be your #9. And I would also do #6 with you. I love your list, as well.

By Blogger Unknown, at 7:10 PM  

Post a Comment