Chasing Contentment

Friday, June 25

I know God takes us through the valleys of life to learn, to grow. I find the majority of my spiritual growth comes during the darker times when I have to rely on God more completely. It's that growth that makes the mountaintop experiences of life even more joyous. I know that. But the valleys are just so... painful. And I know that God's goodness always comes out of the pain. But so often, logic doesn't affect pain.

And how do we comfort and encourage those closest to us who are struggling? How do we tend to their human hurts while empowering their Godly faith?

As Griff becomes older and begins to encounter the pains of life, I find myself often thinking of God in terms of Him being our Father and how He must hurt for and with us as a parent. How must it hurt His heart to watch us struggle and cry out and doubt and hurt? How difficult must it be for Him to not be able to say to us, 'be still. There is better still to come.' Sometimes, the faith that He is providing and planning for a great future - a better one than we had envisioned for ourselves - simply doesn't ease the heart pains of right now.

I wish there was more I could do to ease a friend's suffering. I feel quite helpless in my abilities. I am thankful, in this particular instance especially, for the comfort of being able to ask the Holy Spirit to intercede for me, to pray for me, as I want to pray most for what would comfort most but I think only God would know what form that comfort should take. I am grateful to at least be able to always pray.

[  posted by Chel on Friday, June 25, 2004  ]
[   0 comments  ]


0 Comments:

Post a Comment