Chasing Contentment

Thursday, August 12

Ten years ago tomorrow, Mike and I were married. What a glorious 10 years it's been! I am honored and humbled over and over again that God chose to put the two of us together. I'm not the easiest person to live with, I'm quite sure, and I'm delighted Mike chooses to live with me and love me every single day. I've always said that, despite his being a moron sometimes, he's way better than me. I married up. And I am endlessly thankful for it.

On the morning of our wedding, my friend, Mika, gave me a rock. She's this big fan of metaphors and analogies, and this rock is a perfect example. It's an odd shape with a hole in the center of it. She had tied a pretty white ribbon through the hole, around the rock. She explained that the rock came from the stream outside her parents' house and that the water had worn the hole in the center. She said it's like marriage. God wears on the rough edges of each of us to create this new being. He sometimes wears holes in the union in order to perfect it, and the wearing only creates something more beautiful.

Being short on time that morning, I left the rock in my car. That rock has been with me through 10 years of marriage and four cars now. Each time we buy a new one, I tell Mike, "be sure to get the rock." I look at the frayed ends of the ribbon, no longer a pretty white, and I think of how blessed Mike and I are.

[  posted by Chel on Thursday, August 12, 2004  ]
[   0 comments  ]


0 Comments:

Post a Comment