Chasing Contentment

Friday, October 8

Dearest Eliza,
A year ago today, you were in the NICU hooked up to wires and tubes and all manner of things. Your body was being kept warm artificially, and you had been given plasma to fix the problems my blood running through you could cause. I was in a room in another part of the hospital being given powerful drugs to help prevent seizures. We were worlds apart and yet connected. I wouldn't meet you for another 12 hours or so.

Today, you crawled your tiny body across the crib to greet me and the morning. You're doing all of these amazing things the NICU doctors warned us you might not do until later. You smile easily but laugh with hesitation. You have to really think something's funny to give us a good laugh, and you seem to think Griffin's funnier than your daddy and me, which is okay by me.

You are a gift to us from God. We always thought it would just be the three of us, your daddy, Griffin, and me. We were surprised to find that wasn't the case. God knew that our family needed an Eliza, and we are so thankful He knew best. But then, He always knows best.

I have such prayers and hopes for you, just as I have for your brother. May you know that love that only God can give, may your daddy and I give you the love you need here on this Earth to confidently pursue your dreams, may you be surrounded by Christian friends, may you find and delight in (and periodically annoy) a good, Christian man, may you always smile easily.

Happy Day I Met You, Miss Eliza.

[  posted by Chel on Friday, October 08, 2004  ]
[   0 comments  ]


0 Comments:

Post a Comment