Chasing Contentment

Friday, March 11

My Bud died two days ago. I have been awash with memories this week, of both him and Gran. As John and I have talked, it's apparent that we rarely think of one without the other. They were so intertwined in our memories. And as we talk and remember, neither of us can come up with a single unhappy memory associated with either of them. The time we spent with them was nothing but joy.

It's funny the things we remember. John & I were talking about what objects we thought of first when we thought of Bud, and it's interesting the things we think of first. I thought of his ever-present pipe. I never smell pipe tobacco without immediately thinking of Bud. And John thought of these glazed stoneware coffee mugs that Bud always used to drink his hot tea - never coffee! - that looked like barrels with handles.

I can never remember a night in Bud & Gran's home that we didn't have a big bowl of ice cream. He ate his yucky - with chocolate syrup (usually made from scratch by Gran), peanut butter (always creamy, never chunky), and marshmallow cream.

[  posted by Chel on Friday, March 11, 2005  ]
[   0 comments  ]


0 Comments:

Post a Comment