Chasing Contentment

Thursday, March 31

The young daughter of a friend of mine accepted Christ into her heart this week. Can there be any greater joy for a parent? There must be such comfort in the knowledge that your child has accepted the greatest gift ever given.

Mike and I have been answering questions from Griff about God for some time now, and we've talked about how much we think he can understand. We keep coming bac to God saying that we need to have the faith of a small child. If God tells us that, then we must believe that our children - at whatever age - are able to accept His gift. Mike and I were both about Griff's age when we accepted Christ. Why shouldn't we believe that he can accept and understand at this age, as well?

There have been many times in the last year when I thought that Griff was on the verge of making that choice himself, and yet he didn't. Sometimes, in close-knit families and churches, there is an unspoken stigma about children who haven't yet received Christ. But I know enough about his nature to know that he won't make an impulsive choice. Like me, he's a thinker. He thinks through all manner of things in his head. He likes to have things all planned out, something I do myself.

As Griff gets older, I am becoming more comfortable with the idea that children do things at their own pace. I see his nature and his tendencies, and I want to work with those instead of against them, in all things. And so, for now, in order to help lay the foundation for Griff's spiritual life, Mike and I will keep giving Griff the answer he seeks and giving him the space and the time he needs to invite Christ into his heart.

And we will rejoice with those friends - Aleece & Warren especially this week! - whose children have delightedly joined the family of God.

[  posted by Chel on Thursday, March 31, 2005  ]
[   0 comments  ]


0 Comments:

Post a Comment