Chasing Contentment

Thursday, May 12

For Christmas, I took a big wooden box and painted it black. Then, I stenciled the word "SOAP" on the lid in white and gave it to Mike as a gift. He's a man never in search of an opinion, and a literal soapbox seemed to be the perfect gift for him. My willingness to share my opinions is a little less than Mike's, and the things that really get me going are far different than they are for him. One of my biggest soapbox issues these days is that we should all make our own way. As long as we are working within the framework of the Bible and of what we believe God intends for us, then we need - both in our marriage and in our parenting - to determine what fits us and go with that.

So many people - mothers, especially, I find - are so swayed by whether this thing or that method is right or wrong. And I believe that we can't be happy if we are trying to fit our squishy, lumpy, jello-y selves into a hard, set mold that doesn't allow room for us to be who God created us to be. I wrote about that on Mother's Day a bit, and I read an article (taken from a book by Carla Barnhill) at Crosswalk today that makes the point so very well.

We each know our own and our family's needs best, and thus, we should know what methods will meet those needs in the most appropriate and rewarding way. I appreciate all those out there who, like in the above article, encourage women to trust their Lord to guide them and to trust their hearts enough to listen to Him without getting distracted by the din of the voices out there saying we all need to be this way or that way to be right.

[  posted by Chel on Thursday, May 12, 2005  ]
[   0 comments  ]


0 Comments:

Post a Comment