Chasing Contentment

Thursday, May 19

Mike is as even as I am up and down. He is the least emotional, most stable person I've ever met. Not much upsets him. By the same token, not much excites him. He has but one obsession (other than the kids and me). He is an Astros fan. And not just any fan. He's a die-hard. A man with an obsession. During the season, we watch three, four, or more games a week. He'll sit in the car with the air on to listen to the game on the XM. He begins his mornings with a check of the Houston paper online to get the local sports news on his team.

His beloved team, unfortunately, isn't faring so well this season. They're next to last in the standings and, though it's only May, are completely out of the running to clinch the division title. And while he's not pleased with that, he's also not discouraged. He's already talking about the wild card bid.

For Mike, the eternal optimist, there is never a reason to give up hope. There is always a wild card race. There will always be another hot streak or another hot bat to lift the team. There will always be some reason to hope, to wish for the stars.

I should take a cue from my wishful husband. When I get really discouraged, I should remember that these things are earthly and temporary and unable to change my true hope. If I put all of my faith in God, then things will work out and there will always be a reason to hope.

Jeremiah 29:11 says,
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

There is such freedom in knowing that God has hopeful plans for me. How could anything be better than the plans He has made for me, for us? I know that anything I could desire or dream ... it couldn't compare to the wonder of His path for me. And so, when I get really discouraged, I try to remember that God's plans are in place, whether I can see them or not. The act I have to take is the not-always-easy act of simply trusting in Him enough to rest easy and wait in Him.

[  posted by Chel on Thursday, May 19, 2005  ]
[   0 comments  ]


0 Comments:

Post a Comment