Chasing Contentment

Tuesday, June 14

Mike isn't teaching summer courses this summer, and he's working on his dissertation a little here and a little there. Mostly, he's Mr. Mom to Griff this summer, which Griff and I both think is great. Yesterday, the two of them cleaned our icky house.

There's something beautiful about real wood floors in a really old house right after they've been cleaned. The key point I'm always telling Griff to remember, though, is that they're slippery. I reminded myself of that the hard way last night when I got up at 1:30 a.m. to help Eliza and promptly found myself lying on the floor bleeding. The fall was quick and hard. I cut the toes on one foot pretty bad and ached most everywhere else. It took a while to get back to sleep what with the stinging and throbbing.

This morning, my toes are still throbbing, but the aching everywhere else has pretty much subsided. I think, a lot of times, that my spiritual falls are much like my physical ones. The usually happen quickly, often because I didn't remember some basic truth. And I usually end up hurt in some way with a lingering throbbing to remind me of what happened.

I've got a framed poem at the house that speaks of how God sometimes allows us to find ourselves in a weakened state so that we might reach out to Him, remembering that He is the source of our strength. When my days are hard or confusing or both, it's good for me to look up and see that poem. It's good for me to be reminded that God is stronger than anything happening here and that He is always guarding me.

Even when the gashed toes of life seem too painful, God is my balm that heals. And I'm unbelievably grateful.

[  posted by Chel on Tuesday, June 14, 2005  ]
[   1 comments  ]


1 Comments:

His power is made perfect in our weakness...so hard to trust in that sometimes...

By Blogger Jana, at 6:13 AM  

Post a Comment