Chasing Contentment

Monday, June 27

So this afternoon after work I told Mike about my new plan, and he pointed out some things that needed work. Of course, that initially made me mad (he tends to always think he's right... an annoying trait even if he is usually right) but then made me think. He's right that I can't suggest something new without having thought through the implications.

So now I'm going to do my own little informal survey via email and this blog to see how other people in other churches handle the care of their little ones during services. So, for anyone reading and willing to answer, I'd be very appreciative of suggestions.

I need to know whether preschool nurseries (babies through ages three or four, depending) are staffed by volunteers in the church or paid workers? If by volunteers, are parents required to put in their time? If paid workers, do the workers come from within the church or from advertisements?

In advance, to anyone willing to help, thank you.

[  posted by Chel on Monday, June 27, 2005  ]
[   3 comments  ]


3 Comments:

You have hit upon a problem, uh oops, opportunity that we have at our church as well. We currently hire from the local college. Our Nursery Director does the staffing, along with input from me, the pastor. They get paid hourly. Some feel the time has come to ask for volunteers. Would we have enough to rotate? Don't feel we should ask parents to serve. With paid workers we know they'll be there. With volunteers you sometimes run into the deal with having them not show when they are needed and not telling anyone beforehand of their absence. It works for us with paid nursery staff. Somehow we are still able to do it even with the money crunch we are in. Thank God for that!

By Blogger Bro. Craig, at 9:10 PM  

The workers in our nursery are volunteers. I don't know that parents are "required" to put in their time, but we did get a call the other day (we have a 1-yr-old). I think the woman who heads up the nursery organization just goes down a list and calls folks and asks for their help.

By Blogger Jana, at 6:12 AM  

I've been in churches that have used parents on rotation, volunteers, an paid staff.

My favorite solution was actually in the oldest (both in church age & in personality). They wired the sound system into the nursery. This may already be done at your church, but it doesn't sound like it from your remarks.

Of course, with children present the message and worship aren't always heard to the fullest, but at least they are available for those rare moments of peace. It also serves to get the children used to the idea of church and what goes on in there before they are old enough to join the grown-ups.

By Blogger Joshua G., at 9:34 AM  

Post a Comment