Chasing Contentment

Monday, July 4

I hate this war, mostly because of the lives lost and the families damaged. As my family prepares to celebrate the Fourth of July in our traditional manner (grilling with Mandy and Josh, which we all love), I think of those men and women serving in our military right now and of how they probably aren't going to have burgers and ice cream sandwiches today. I think of their families here at home who are without, in so many ways. Griff's two best friends both are without their daddies right now, anxious for their safe return home.

There are people, I know, for whom our country represents greed and egotism, and in some ways, that's true. But it also represents self-sacrifice and generosity and freedom. Our minister talked yesterday in his sermon about spiritual freedom, and it was a powerful topic.

Today, I am so thankful to live here where I am free to worship in whatever manner I choose. I am thankful that we live in a heavily Christian area of the country where our faith is supported. And I am thankful to those individuals who are currently defending my freedoms, even if it's in a war I despise. The actions of these men and women - on the whole - are commendable. I am grateful for those willing to sacrifice for the rest of us, for the common good.

Happy 4th.

[  posted by Chel on Monday, July 04, 2005  ]
[   0 comments  ]


0 Comments:

Post a Comment