Chasing Contentment

Friday, July 22

I've been tagged! I think.

Unless I've become overly egotistical, Jana tagged me with a book tag, which sounds like a lovely afternoon diversion from thinking about how annoyingly painful the shingles are.

It's also a good time since I've been all bookish this week. In general, one of my greatest goals in my day is to get both kids in bed and enough dishes and laundry done for me to sink into a scorchingly hot bubble bath by 9:30 p.m. and read until the water's cool. Mostly, I read paperback romance novels in the tub (I admit it!), but I'll leave those off this list, I think.

I am much more drawn to fiction than to non-fiction, though I am trying to begin reading more books to challenge my spiritual thinking.

1) How many books have you owned? I'm not sure at all. I buy books and pass them on to other folks who I think will like them. Mika, Tara, and I all swapped books this weekend, so it's hard to keep track.

2) What was the last book you bought? "The Guardian" by Nicholas Sparks, upon Mika's recommendation. (I loved his "The Notebook" and "A Walk to Remember.")

3) What was the last book you read? Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" by J.K. Rowling, which I am eagerly waiting for Mike to finish reading so we can discuss it. I also just finished both "Scandalous Grace" by Julie Ann Barnhill and "The Myth of the Submissive Christian Woman" by Brenda Waggoner.

4) What five books have meant a lot to you? I think that's a hard question to answer because I've had lots of books that meant a certain something to that period of my life. When I was a child, I loved the (1) "Uncle Remus" stories of Brer Rabbit and friends by Joel Chandler Harris because my dad read them aloud to me and did all of the different voices.

As a young teenager, I can remember sneaking (2) "Are You There God, It's Me Margaret" by Judy Blume into the house and reading it, being shocked and yet comforted by some of it. I also vividly remember checking out one particular library book (the name of which, I do wish I could remember) countless times because I was so delighted by the wordplay between the two female characters and the boys they began to date... my introduction to romance novels.

I read both (3) "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austin and (4) "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee in high school and college. Both are amazing books that touch me today. (Had our little Eliza been a boy, I wanted to name him 'Radley.')

Now, one of my favorites is (5) "No Matter What" by Debi Gliori. It's a children's book that I read to Griff and Eliza that talks about how I'll love them no matter what they do or how they act. I'll love them simply because they are my children, which is something I try to remember about God and me, too.

I love the Claire Malloy series by Joan Hess... the Mitford series by Jan Karon... the Narnia series... the Nora Roberts trashy books. Clearly, there are more, but those stand out immediately.

5) What books should I read? As I said, I should read more non-fiction books to stimulate my faith. I've also got the ever-present list of books I want to read. "The Myth of the Perfect Mother: Rethinking the Spirituality of Women" by Carla Barnhill - "The Five People You Meet in Heaven" by Mitch Albom - beading books - "Hard News: The Scandals at the New York Times and Their Meaning for American Media" by Seth Mnookin - a the pile of romance novels by my bed.

Tagged:
Aleece at The Crisper
Craig at Parsonage Musings
Josh at Stupid Thoughts (maybe it'll inspire him to write something new!)

[  posted by Chel on Friday, July 22, 2005  ]
[   3 comments  ]


3 Comments:

"No Matter What" sounds like a good one to add to Rowan's library...I'll have to check it out...

By Blogger Jana, at 6:57 AM  

You got your wish.

; p

By Blogger Joshua G., at 11:39 AM  

Yay, all three of my people did this! Thanks, ya'll.

By Blogger Chel, at 1:00 PM  

Post a Comment