Chasing Contentment

Friday, July 22

One of my biggest pet peeves is personal responsibility. Now, with my own leanings toward guilt and fault, that can sometimes be damaging for me, but still, I think it's important that we all acknowledge our own actions and the consequences of them. Whatever our choices, whatever our situations, I think we should own them.

I think our society is too willing to blame someone else whenever something happens that isn't according to plan. Now, I'm not saying that we are personally responsible for every bad thing that ever happens to us. I'm just saying that I don't think we should always be looking for someone else upon whom to pin the blame. Sometimes, unfortunately, bad things simply happen. They are a part of life, whether I like them or not.

While watching television last night, I saw the most horrific advertisement for a law firm. The visual was of this mother - youngish looking - next to an empty crib, and the voice over - along with the text on the screen - talked about how the mother did everything right but the baby was early and the doctors wanted to do tests and the baby was in the hospital. It kept saying that the mother did everything right, and it ended with the appeal to call the lawyer's office, implying that if the mother did things right, it must have been the doctor's fault.

I was stunned and irate! I admit that sometimes I still wonder if I did something wrong with Eliza, but never would I doubt the professionalism of my doctor. Bless the man, he and God are the reasons I'm here today. I was just appalled that this firm would prey upon women in such a delicate time, when they are already riddled with guilt (my friend the NICU social worker says that all mothers of preemies, regardless of the circumstances, feel guilt) and fear and sadness. These mothers are already questioning why something happened to their baby, and in so many cases, there are no good answers. But this firm is trying to give them answers by placing the blame upon men and women who may or may not have been at fault.

Despite thinking of myself as a bit cynical, I am shocked by the insensitivity this firm has shown. What these mothers (fathers, too!) need are compassionate friends and family members, church members, to come and rally around them. Not lawyers trying to prey upon their time of weakness.

[  posted by Chel on Friday, July 22, 2005  ]
[   1 comments  ]


1 Comments:

I can't believe how I relate to you. This is the first time I've read this blog. I also have a strong leaning toward guilt and personal responsibility. And, don't even get me started on lawyer commercials. I work in a medical practice of 7 very competent, well-trained surgeons. Our liability premium is so high that we can barely afford it. We have had a few suits, but no payouts as the cases were dismissed as frivilous (?sp). Nonetheless, these cases still cost the insurance companies and the premiums are sky high.

By the way, I also have colored hair, acrylic nails (just had them filled yesterday) and a fake tan.

Love your blog - keep writing.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:25 PM  

Post a Comment