Chasing Contentment

Wednesday, July 20

We all know that God gives us gifts and qualities in our personality that we can use for Him. It's been a hard path for me to walk to find what I consider to be my spiritual gifts. One of those gifts is a nurturing heart that is often represented in a loyal spirit.

We laughed this weekend about my 'stalker friendship' style. Bless Mika and Tara, they haven't seemed to mind being stalked by me all these years! My loyalty,though, to friendships and people has sometimes gotten in the way of good sense.

Now that I'm older, I know that some friends are only meant for a particular season in life. I don't like it, but I know it. And I'm trying to adjust my thinking so that I can accept it. I'm trying to see the people who come in and out of my life as blessings regardless of the length of their stay in my life... it's always been my mentality that once I'm friends with someone, I'm always going to be friends with them.

As we were laughing and talking about the way I view friendship and about some of the friends I've lost through the years for various reasons, I was able to honestly say that there was only one friend who I really regretted losing to that season of life. I suspect I'll always miss her a bit, and I'm comfortable with that now.

The others were these amazing blessings who God placed beside me for that time when I needed their unique qualities (or for when they needed mine). I love the ebb and flow of relationships, that idea that we can each be what someone else needs at any given moment in time.

I love that God orchestrates all of that to His glory (an amazing feat, in my control freak opinion). When I have been at my lowest, I've had friends who were strong and able to gently walk with my through my valleys. And vice versa. And I thank God that He knows that I both need to have these girlfriends to help me and to be of use to them in return. I like that the gifts I think He's given me both nurture others and my own soul.

[  posted by Chel on Wednesday, July 20, 2005  ]
[   2 comments  ]


2 Comments:

I am the same way. If you are my friend there is no way of getting out of it. You're my friend for life. I may not see you or have contact with you for years, but if I see you, you still get the same hug and smile that you did when we were seeing each other on a regular basis. Thanks for being my friend!

By Blogger Bro. Craig, at 1:07 PM  

I love that about you. You are always a true friend not matter what crazy things may happen. Thanks for always being there for me.

Mandy

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:42 AM  

Post a Comment