Chasing Contentment

Thursday, August 25

I believe that, often, God teaches me more during the difficult days than the easy ones. I think that He uses trying times to teach and reteach me about relying on Him and about moving forward in faith. The easy times, I think, are restful, restoring.

But this summer, I think I've had the best of both worlds. I've enjoyed the rest and restoration that come with such a joyous time, but I've also learned so much. God used this summer - my summer of grace - to teach me and to shore me up so that I would be ready for this fall and the things that will come with it.

We are already experiencing things that pull at us, that tug at our souls. We are weary and tense, unsure and unsteady. At moments, I feel as if I can't go on, and yet I know I will.

A friend made a comment yesterday that she waits well but has trouble believing while I believe easily but wait poorly. And she's very right. I trust without a doubt that God will protect us and provide for us. But as I've said here before, it's this middle ground of waiting that wears me down. It's this day-in and day-out putting forth a solid effort to do the right thing when the right thing is rarely rewarded.

I'm thankful that I had this summer of delight to show me how I want our family to interact in the evenings and weekends when we're all together. We've not done very well this week with striving toward the goal, but I at least have a goal in place now.

I'm thankful the Lord gave me the desire to begin having a daily time with Him this summer so that the habit and practice - and joy in it! - are already in place when free time becomes less plentiful and schedules become fuller. I want that time with Him now, and so I'll seek it out whereas I might not have if I were just now beginning the practice.

These are difficult days, and I'm asking the Lord for courage and strength and encouragement.

[  posted by Chel on Thursday, August 25, 2005  ]
[   1 comments  ]


1 Comments:

I'm sorry you're having hard days. You're in my thoughts, blog-buddy.

By Blogger Jana, at 11:09 AM  

Post a Comment