Chasing Contentment

Thursday, September 1

There's been talk, though blessedly not much, about a belief that some people hold that, amongst other things, Katrina was God's judgement on the city of New Orleans. I strongly disagree with that.

Unfortunately, I can't quite get past the emotional punch this has been to me to formulate a post responding to people who might believe that. Oddly enough, my Mike did. And so, for a momentary change of pace, here is his guest post. Enjoy.

I read something online that suggested that this catastrophe was God's judgment on the people of New Orleans. How can one suggest that the New Orleans' people and their reputation for sin and debauchery "brought" this on themselves? (Poor folks in Mississippi just happened to be too close, I suppose.)

I certainly believe God is at work, that God can turn this grim situation into something good for those who walk according to His purpose. But I don't think this is God's judgment on New Orleans or the Mississippi Coast.

Who among us is without sin? If we all got what we deserved, we'd all be suffering. Is every natural (or manmade) disaster judgment from God? Did every person stricken with cancer bring it on themselves?

It really bothers me when something like this occurs and those who believe it is somehow wrong to ask God "Why?" feel the need to answer the question themselves.

There, but by the grace of God, go I.

[  posted by Chel on Thursday, September 01, 2005  ]
[   8 comments  ]


8 Comments:

Michele - Brandon and I are so frustrated! What else can we do?!?

By Blogger Jana, at 7:13 PM  

Hi - this is a good post. Some people are realy unthinking when they make silly statements about judgement. Love and compassion are what we are to show. I'm glad you and yours are Ok and praying for all those affected. God bless you from New Zealand.

By Blogger Catez, at 2:22 AM  

Chel - ha ha...did you think I meant we were frustrated about the spam?!? Actually I meant we were frustrated about not being able to help more! What else can we do to help evacuees?

By Blogger Jana, at 5:47 AM  

Jana - Sorry. It was late last night when I read your comment, and I just got confused. I'm working on a post of suggestions of ways to help. Thank you for your desire.

By Blogger Chel, at 12:36 PM  

Chel, excellent post! In writing to someone who commented on a gathering to be held Labor Day weekend in New Orleans by asking "Could this be God's Judgement?" I could only ask if they thought that God was so impotent that the only way He could stop this ongoing event was to destroy the lives of so many innocent people.

Here's the scenario...God, up in heaven, sees the flyer for the 10th annual (insert your favorite attackable sin here) gathering in New Orleans saying, "Oh, Me! I didn't know that was going to happen. Has it really been going on for 10 years? It's so late that the only way for Me to stop this is to send a Category 5 Hurricane and destroy the lives of millions of people!"

I think our God is a bit bigger and more powerful than that!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:13 PM  

Mike is so right. Some are all about "getting rid" of the bad people. Why not try and show them God's love? Wow.

By Blogger Bro. Craig, at 10:02 PM  

Trackback from Allthings2all:
Katrina God's Judgement? Please Get A Life

Excerpt:Unfortunately there have been some who have responded to the Hurricane Katrina tragedy with what I think is hubris, and they have claimed that this disaster was a judgement from God...

By Blogger Catez, at 10:19 PM  

I found this sermon very helpful and believe that you will too.
It's by a pastor who lives in Florida, USA.
Copy and paste this link into your browser.

http://www.fambible.org/video/katrina.wvx

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:51 AM  

Post a Comment