Chasing Contentment

Friday, October 28

Fridays rarely lend themselves to weighty thoughts from me. My Friday thoughts are more about fun and family and friends and frivolous diversions.

I love Fridays as much as I hate Thursdays (a wretched homework night for Griff). Jana at The Rowan Report had an excellent fun Friday post, and I'm going to copy her. I hope she doesn't mind.

Jana's proposition was this... You're having a dinner to which you're allowed to invite as many people you'd like...as long as this will be the first time you've met. Who's on the guest list and why? (Jesus is a given.)

I initially thought I'd invite an eclectic mix of people, but when I wrote my list, it looked instead like two lists, so I'd have to have two dinners.

My literary/artistic/entertainment dinner...turns out I like writers...
1) Harper Lee, author of my favorite book, "To Kill a Mockingbird."
2) Jane Austin, author of another favorite, "Pride and Prejudice."
3) Gustav Klimt, artist and painter of "The Kiss," what I think to be one of the most romantic paintings ever.
4) Rosie O'Donnell because I think she does amazing work for the plight of underserved children with her For All Kids organization.
5) Rick Bragg, author of "All Over But the Shouting" and "Ava's Man." I know he wasn't a good journalist, but he's an amazing storyteller.
6) Matt Roush, tv critic for TV Guide... come on, is there a cooler job?

The Faith List...
1) The Prodigal Son's brother because someone should have invited the poor fellow to a dinner.
2) Mary and Martha (Luke 10:38-42 and John 12:1-8) because I'm a lot like Martha & I need to be a lot like Mary.
3) Brenda Waggoner, author of "The Myth of the Submissive Christian Woman," a book I thoroughly enjoyed and benefitted from reading.
4) Jan Karon, (who could have easily fit into the first group but because of her writing about faith got put in this one), author of the Mitford series of books.

Addendum... My artist friend, Aleece, wondered why I divided the artistic and faith groups into two dinners. She mused that they could both just get along, and I'm sure she's correct. I see God's hand in her talents. I see God's moving in her paintings. I am quite certain that He is behind the amazing abilities she has.

But if I'm going to have an imaginary dinner with people who will discuss faith, I want to discuss faith and not be caught up in a dynamic discussion - with people who might not be of the Christian faith - that might well lead to disagreements and arguements. If I'm discussing faith, right now I need it to be something positive and encouraging, not necessarily challenging.

I recognize that as a sign of my own weakness, my unwillingness to defend my faith, wanting instead to be uplifted. Hopefully, one day, I'll feel strong enough in my Bible knowledge - and not just in my faith, in my trust in the Lord - to feel comfortable inviting a myriad of people to dinner, content that I could adequately articulate the reasons and Scriptures behind my faith.

Until then, though, everyone gets their own dinner and better make nice if I use the good dishes.

[  posted by Chel on Friday, October 28, 2005  ]
[   2 comments  ]


2 Comments:

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

By Blogger Jana, at 11:57 PM  

Neat! I'm so glad you did this. Thanks for sharing. I wish there was a way we could help you all out down there in the Pelican State.

By the way, have I ever mentioned that I grew up in Shreveport?

By Blogger Jana, at 11:58 PM  

Post a Comment