Chasing Contentment

Tuesday, October 11

I'm doing a focus group at Artella this week. I try to do these when they're offered because they're free and easy ways to try out new writing styles and to look at things from a different perspective.

The first exercise in this particular course was to list 100 wonderful things about myself. It sounds a little daunting, to be quite honest. And that seems a little shameful.

I can remember when I was in college going to a big religious group gathering/ conference, and my roommate and I attended the same break-out session. In that session, we were asked to write however many good and bad things about ourselves, and we were asked which came easier. At that tender age of 18, the good came easier. And I remember being surprised by the number of girls who said the bad came easier. I was a very self-assured young thing, though at that point, my self-image was based, unfortunately, upon some superficial and unimportant things.

As I've gotten older, my respect for my own person has grown. I am stronger and more self-assured, especially in relation to my faith and how that aspect of my life influences the others. But after a bunch of years and two children, my body image isn't nearly as good as it was when I was younger. The grown-up me thinks that a greater awareness of myself and my world is a good exchange for a superficial pleasure with my own appearance. The superficial part of me thinks I may have gotten the short end of the stick on this one.

Mike and I have a deal this week that for an entire week I won't say anything negative about myself and that he'll shower me with unsolicited compliments for the same time frame. Maybe writing the 100 wonderful things about me will play into our week's theme.

[  posted by Chel on Tuesday, October 11, 2005  ]
[   1 comments  ]


1 Comments:

beautiful, both inside and out
dependable
loving
loyal to a fault
i could go on and on

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:57 AM  

Post a Comment