Chasing Contentment

Wednesday, November 16

There are days when ... when I am weary... when the things that press on us in this life feel as if they're pressing way too hard... when I wish for kind words... when I long for better days.

On days when I feel like that, I know that I need to make an effort to still my heart, to tame my worried soul long enough to remember God's promise to sustain me.

Isaiah 40:31 says,
But those who wait upon GOD get fresh strength.
They spread their wings and soar like eagles,
They run and don't get tired,
they walk and don't lag behind. ("The Message")
I love the Goo Goo Dolls song, "Better Days." I find it especially poignant now, both with our particular situation and with the holidays coming soon. It makes me smile... reminds me that there are so many people around us wishing for nothing more than better days.
"And you ask me what I want this year
And I try to make this kind and clear
Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days
Cuz I don't need boxes wrapped in strings
And desire and love and empty things
Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days

So take these words
And sing out loud
Cuz everyone is forgiven now
Cuz tonight's the night the world begins again

And it's someplace simple where we could live
And something only you can give
And thats faith and trust and peace while we're alive
And the one poor child that saved this world
And there's 10 million more who probably could
If we all just stopped and said a prayer for them

So take these words
And sing out loud
Cuz everyone is forgiven now
Cuz tonight's the night the world begins again

I wish everyone was loved tonight
And somehow stop this fight
Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days"
Better days - and the strength to carry on until then - will be my prayer for all of us today.

[  posted by Chel on Wednesday, November 16, 2005  ]
[   1 comments  ]


1 Comments:

I heard the song on the radio just a little while after reading the lyrics here. GREAT song, Chel. Thanks for posting the words.

By Blogger Jana, at 11:47 AM  

Post a Comment