Chasing Contentment

Tuesday, January 10

I had begun to think that I just couldn't take any more yesterday. And then, things happened, and I did (not necessarily well, though). At some point last night, I realized that I'm not one of those women who won't call someone for help if they need it.

We all know people like that. When they get sick or suffer loss, people say, 'now, we'll have to work to help her because she just won't ask for help.' Not me. I'm asking...begging...whatever it takes.

Through a very unfortunate series of events, Eliza dislocated her elbow yesterday afternoon, and as I left the pediatrician's office (after a series of x-rays and a painful examination) and headed for the ER (after hours, you know... had to report there for more x-rays and to await an orthopeadic doctor), I called Mandy, sobbing.

I'm quite sure she wasn't able to understand much of my conversation other than 'Eliza...ER' and 'Josh...Griff.' But that, combined with me and Eliza both crying was enough. And she called Josh who went to our house when he got off work to stay with Griff, so Mike could come be with me and Eliza.

And I'm so grateful for family like them. There's no shared blood in our veins, but there's family in our hearts. I never hesitated to call them to lay out what I needed, knowing they would make it happen.

And Eliza bopped into our house feeling great after the doc popped her elbow back into place (the speed of her pain relief was astounding). And she said 'hey' to Mandy and Josh, never wondering why they were at her house. They just were. And that's a beautiful thing (unlike the insurance bill I'll owe on the whole ordeal).

In the midst of difficult times, I'm grateful to God most of all for sending people to me who comfort and support me, who make me laugh and assure me that it's okay to cry. I am thankful for people two doors down and for people in other cities and states who love and care for me and mine. God is good.

[  posted by Chel on Tuesday, January 10, 2006  ]
[   1 comments  ]


1 Comments:

Wow, sometimes life happens and when it does, it stinks. There are other days in the week. I do pray they are not all Mondays. Things won't always be the way they are now. Promise.

By Blogger Bro. Craig, at 9:58 PM  

Post a Comment