Chasing Contentment

Monday, February 20

Friends in Deed
There is this crazy, ideal, magical world in my head (come on, admit it...you've got one, too... at least all of the women I know do).

In my ideal world, there are always clean, dry, fluffy towels in the dryer and the washer is always empty. Every time I open the dishwasher, it is empty, so I can load the dirties without first emptying the cleans. We never run out of toilet tissue, paper towels, or Pull-ups. The milk that never goes bad also never runs out. We always have chocolate in the house.

In this dreamland, the kids don't get sick, and it doesn't rain on a big day. I don't have to stop for gas when it's cold outside, and I don't step in puddles up to my ankles when it's raining.

It's a lovely place there, you know, this place in my head. Unfortunately, the reality isn't quite like the place in my head. My reality with my family and friends is wonderful, don't get me wrong, but it's not ideal. Instead, it's fraught with all that reality usually holds for us... struggles and pain and challenges and disappointments and ... on and on.

There are three things common between my ideal, imaginary world and my real world. In both, I have Christ, my family, and my friends. And without any of those, I would be lost.

And while Christ is certainly the ultimate friend, I've written before about how I believe He sends us His little angels in the form of friends, people who give hands and feet to His love here on Earth.

Mike is certainly my bestest friend, without a doubt. And while he's an amazing husband friend, he is a lousy girlfriend.

And I am a woman who needs girlfriends. I'm also a woman blessed with them. These are the angels who step in when the kids are sick and when I'm frazzled and in need. These are the women who remind me to take care of myself and then insist on it. These are the women who reflect the best parts of me in themselves. They are the mirror to what is good in me and the balm for what isn't so swell.

My God provides me with these people to walk with me in His journey. We carry one another and strengthen one another as we endeavor to be more and more of who God would have us be.

I am grateful both for them and to them.

[  posted by Chel on Monday, February 20, 2006  ]
[   2 comments  ]


2 Comments:

Amen Michele. How wonderful to think about friends as God's little angels.
I had to giggle about your quote that you Sweetheart is a "lousy girlfriend". Although I can talk to my hubby about everything, once in a while I need my girlfriend to talk about 'girly' stuff.
Thanks again for hosting, my friend *smile*.

By Blogger eph2810, at 10:28 PM  

We do need girlfriends...I laughed at that too! Last week and this weekend I am spending at ladies' retreats....it's so refreshing...thank God for the bonds of feminine friendship.

Christie

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:59 PM  

Post a Comment