Chasing Contentment

Thursday, February 23

Today, between 2:30 and 3:30 p.m., our lives will change.

I hesitate before writing more because there is such weight in that statement, such truth in it. It seems that it should be allowed to hover there alone for a bit before I move on. The weight of what today means is hard for me to articulate, hard even for my heart to grasp, in all honesty.

While it seems like a strange statement to make - to say that at a specific hour in the day, our lives will change - it is true for us. Today is the culmination of years of effort, and in many ways, it is a day that I couldn't imagine. It is a day that I had stopped hoping would come because I had hoped for one too many things one too many times and had those hopes dashed, time and time again.

Mike defends his dissertation this afternoon, and if all goes well, he will be Dr. Mike by the time he arrives home. He will receive his diploma and hood in May, and the commencement ceremony will certainly be a time of celebration. But today has more importance to it, at least in my mind.

Today, Mike will complete seven years of work. He will attain a goal that seemed unattainable on too many days. I am astounded at the work he has done, at his abilities and work ethic. He is strong and determined. And he deserves the accolaides for this.

There were bad times associated with his doctoral pursuit, to be sure. Those are what make today so important to me, I think. We did not arrive at this day without paying a price, and the cost was more than financial.

Today is a day of celebration of who Mike is, of what he has accomplished. I am unspeakably proud of him.

[  posted by Chel on Thursday, February 23, 2006  ]
[   6 comments  ]


6 Comments:

Go Mike! Yay Mike!

By Blogger Joshua G., at 11:07 AM  

Also, if all go well, as there's no reason it shouldn't, we going to celebrate. Either we're paying for the sitter or we're paying for your dinner, but this is something you've both earned and you both need a congratulatory dinner. Take your pick, but we're paying for one. We insist. ; p

By Blogger Joshua G., at 11:51 AM  

With spring holiday starting tomorrow, I can't find a sitter, but we'll all do dinner tomorrow night!

Griff and I are going to make posters tonight to hang on the porch before Mike gets home, and I'll let both kids stay up late. We may stand on the porch and do our 'go Astros' yell as 'go Mike' when he gets home. Wanna join in?

By Blogger Chel, at 11:52 AM  

Of course. Give us a call and we'll be there.

By Blogger Joshua G., at 11:57 AM  

Be very proud of him...
;-)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:30 PM  

Congratulations on such a grand milestone. My husband also got his doctorate after we were married five years. It was a long haul for us -- and a joyful day when he finished his dissertation. You should be PROUD of both your hard work!

By Blogger Heather Ivester, at 4:55 AM  

Post a Comment