Chasing Contentment

Tuesday, March 28

I just finished reading an article by one of Mike's students about a man for whom I have the utmost respect. He made some comments about Christianity that I thought were insightful and that I wanted to remember.

In explaining his views on Christian education, he told the story of another man who once described Christian education as playing a football game on one's home field with the support of fans and community.

"From my point of view, my belief in Christianity does not require the home field advantage," he said. "That's not the way the world is. To prepare Christian students to go out in the world, they're not going to have the home field advantage out there...I believe Christianity can win on the visitor's court, if you will."

He quoted another gentleman - a man I knew of through his work with the local Habitat for Humanity chapter prior to his death - as saying, "There are many viewpoints on the Bible... and I will not be certain until I stand before God which ones of them are correct."

He went on to say, "That didn't mean this gentleman didn't have beliefs. What it did mean was that he was willing to allow other points of view, and he did not find it necessary to condemn those other points of view as not Christian. In other words, he could accept the fact that there were going to be a lot of people before the throne of God, not necessarily his version of people."

While I have a deep appreciation for Christian education, I also want my children to be prepared to live in this world and to be used by Christ in it. May I allow God to show me the fine line between preparing them and sheltering them. May I also express to my children that different points of view are okay.

[  posted by Chel on Tuesday, March 28, 2006  ]
[   0 comments  ]


0 Comments:

Post a Comment