Chasing Contentment

Thursday, May 11

My kids inadvertently remind me routinely of the power of words, both in what I say and how I say it.

In the van with Griff and Eliza today, he was telling me that his class was asked to raise their hands if they loved their mothers. He didn't raise his hand. He said they were then asked to raise their hands if they hated their mothers. He didn't raise his hand, he quickly assured me.

"I don't hate you! I just don't love you all the time. Sometimes you annoy me."

Ugh, just stab my mama heart, why don't you? Geez. But I know he loves me, and I understand what he's saying. He's growing up, and he's learning that it isn't always easy to love. There is often a big gap between liking and loving, and he's learning that.

He and I have talked about how I sometimes get annoyed with them, but we also talk about how I always love them. All of my favorite children's books are about the endurance of love. Sure, there are plenty of days when I'm annoyed with Griff and Eliza and there are even more when I'm unhappy with their actions, but there is never a moment when I don't love them.

Someday, Griff will figure out that it's entirely possible to not like someone you love deeply. And I'm just going to keep telling myself that he wouldn't be so excited about Mother's Day if he didn't love me.

[  posted by Chel on Thursday, May 11, 2006  ]
[   1 comments  ]


1 Comments:

Wonderful wisdom... and yes, Griff does love you. Happy Mother's Day!

By Blogger Susannah, at 1:41 PM  

Post a Comment