Chasing Contentment

Thursday, June 22

I'm sitting here at Mandy's waiting for the dealership to call about the van. I've already vacuumed & I'm doing laundry, so while Mike watches soccer, I thought I'd update my 101 list.

Chel's 101 Things in 1001 Days
(Originally posted Jan. 3, 2006...I don't have nearly 101 things yet, but I'll keep adding to the list as I think of new goals to set. The ones I have are in completely random order.)
1. Learn yoga.
2. Read 100 books (I'm keeping a record of the books I read with LibraryThing.).
3. Learn to make an edible pot roast.
4. Read the Bible through in two different translations (I've begun reading through in "The Message" already.)
5. Memorize the books of the Bible.
6. Find a new job that will better utilize my God-given talents.
7. Take a long trip (four days would feel long to us) alone with Mike to somewhere neither of us have ever been.
8. Take a family vacation somewhere that would appeal to all four of us.
9. Be able to run two miles (at one time, not as a cumulative endeavor over the 1001 days).
10. Sell my handmade jewelry. (I sold a necklace off my neck at a birthday party last weekend... Jan. 28, 2006.)
11. Write at least one short story every six months ... my math is bad, but I think that would be about five stories in the 1001 days.
12. Pay off all credit card debt.
13. Accumulate savings equal to three months of our salaries.
14. Begin a college fund for Eliza.
15. Attend Mike's doctoral graduation ceremony. (May 19, 2006)
16. Grow herbs (mine tend to die before we can cut and eat them).
17. Create a photo wall in our house of favorite photos.
18. Frame a really great piece of art created by each of my children.
19. Hold a friend's baby.
20. Keep a list of answered prayers (My list is linked in the left column.).
21. Take weekend trips with girlfriends. (April '06 - Aleece in New Orleans, Memorial Day '06 - Mika & Tara, June '06 - LeeAnn)
22. Take weekend trips with my brother and his family.
23. Learn basic sign language.
24. Write greeting cards & convince Aleece to illustrate them.
25. Buy furniture Mike doesn't put together.
26. Volunteer.
27. Create a jewelry project folder. (working on it - June '06... whenever I find pictures of jewelry I like, I put it in the folder, saving them as inspiration)
28. Grow cucumbers.
29. Paint all the trim in the house. (April 1, 2006 - Mike actually did this so we could put the house on the market, but I'm going to count it anyway.)
30. Spend a weekend with Mike in New Orleans. We've always had amazing visits there & I hope for a post-Katrina New Orleans that is better than ever. Maybe that will happen in less than 1001 days. (We spent the night in New Orleans the night of Mike's doctoral graduation. May '06)
31. Have my cholesterol checked for the first time.
32. Give money to charities that mean something to me. (I've already contributed to St. Jude's Childrens Research Center and the Special Olympics of Louisiana. Jan. 2006)
33. Walk with my family in the next two March of Dimes Walk America events.
34. Take Griff to art exhibits and expose him to new forms of art.
35. Take Griff to the theatre.
36. Splurge on tickets to see a really good ballet.
37. Participate in at least one book club-type group.
38. Be able to walk two miles without any breathing problems (carrying my inhaler would be perfectly acceptable).
39. See an Astros Spring Training game with Mike.
40. Take Griff to see an Astros game with Mike. (April 8, 2006 - my 36th birthday ... with Mandy and Josh)
41. See a movie at The Moxie.
42. Ask a professional writer to review one or more of my short fiction pieces. (Ok, I asked earlier this month, but she declined...I'll keep trying. 4/06 I asked again & got turned down again. I'll keep trying.)
43. Attend Griff's baptism (Feb. 5, 2006).
44. Share Christ with an unbeliever.
45. Read Mike's dissertation.
46. Adopt a soldier.
47. Find a church that ministers to each of us, that will encourage each of us to grow in our faith.
48. Buy a house & create an environment in which my family can feel at home quickly.
49. Begin a travel fund to use to fly back to La. to see friends.
50. Plant sunflowers.
51. Buy Eliza a tricycle.(Her Grannie D and Pawpaw Jerry gave her one this spring. '06)
52. Find a new favorite pizza place.
53. Forgive myself.
54. Embrace my body for what it is and for the wonder that God gave it.
55. Buy a piece of art from my artist friend, Kate, to hang in our new house. (June 12... Kate sketched a very special piece for me, and I will treasure it forever.)
56. Potty train Eliza.
57. Buy Eliza a 'big girl bed' and redecorate her room.
58. Inquire about selling my jewelry in specialty shops.
59. Promote the website with my jewelry.
60. Read the 'Chronicles of Narnia' books to Griff.
61. Finish reading the first 'Harry Potter' book to Griff.
62. Take Eliza to see a live-action theatre production (Dora, Disney or the like).
63. Have Griff tested again for eggs. And again each year until he isn't allergic or they determine he always will be.
64. Get a sitter and go eat crawfish with Mike before we move. (Done!)
65. Make a special piece of jewelry for my mom.
66. Watch 'Band of Brothers' with Mike.
67. Take the kids to SeaWorld.
68. Get a library card.
69. Hang my Gran's stained glass pieces.
70. Celebrate little events.
71. Give Griff a great birthday party here before we leave. (June 9/10, 2006 - We took Griff and his friend, Will, out of town for an overnight trip as his party.)
72. Take a beading class.
73. Listen to friends.
74. Enroll Eliza in a dance class.
75. Encourage Griff to find something he enjoys doing - other than video games.
76. Put Mike's Astros baseball cards in a binder. Or several binders. (June '06 - He did this himself.)
77. Send Christmas cards.
78. Keep a gratitude record during my 36th year. (I need to buy a pretty binder this weekend & start doing this.)
79. Say Thank You often.
80. Read the last 'Harry Potter' book... I'm already anxious for it.
81. Add 20 new recipies to my rotation.
82. Practice the 3Rs (thanks to Jack Johnson)... reduce, reuse, recycle.

[  posted by Chel on Thursday, June 22, 2006  ]
[   3 comments  ]


3 Comments:

chel, thanks so much for you kind and encouraging words. i was reading thru your 101 list and i just love "the Message". it just makes it so real to me.

also 17 sounds very appealing to me as well. i love photos and the memories they represent.

have a wonderful day.

blessings!
lisa

By Blogger Radical One, at 8:23 AM  

Edible pot roast: The wife makes the best. It melts in your mouth. Awesome it is. My mother made it dry and stringy. I hated it. The wife can do a fine job though. Here you go:

1 (2-4 lb.) pot roast, frozen (any size to fit your crock pot)
1 pkg. onion soup, Campbell's or Liptons
1 c. water

Put the temperature on the crock pot to low. Place the frozen roast in the crock pot. Season to taste, 1/2 - 1 package of the onion soup.

If you start in the morning before leaving for the day, it makes a great dinner. Of course over night does well too. 8 hours to cook is a good length of time for cooking. Add potatoes, or rice and favorite vegetables, they can cook with the roast or you can cook them seperately and add them later. 4-8 servings.

By Blogger Bro. Craig, at 8:39 AM  

wow. what a neat idea. i especially like your list of answered prayers. both lists are definitely ideas i'm going to ponder for a while now ... thanks! (p.s. found your blog round-about-ly through brooklyn&beyond i.e. my church) blessings, hilary

By Blogger G&G Girl, at 2:19 PM  

Post a Comment