Chasing Contentment

Thursday, August 24

The last great hurdle we have to jump here in our new hometown is to find a church home. I fear it may be the greatest hurdle of all.

Mike and I were both reared in one particular Protestant denomination, and we have spent all of our lives in those churches. But events of the last few years - both in our lives personally and and within the national organization of that denomination specifically - have led us (me, especially) to want to try something new, to find a church of service not associated with the denomination of our youth.

But that leaves this whole wide range of options out there for us, and it's overwhelming, quite frankly. The other night, I told Mike that what I needed was a quiz to tell me which denomination would be right for me. And I am pretty sure you can Google any kind of quiz, so I did.

We both took the BeliefNet's Belief-o-Matic quiz, and that turned out not to be much help at all. I scored as a Quaker, and Mike scored as a mainline to liberal Protestant. Great. So when that wasn't much help, I kept Googling.

So we both took the Christian Denomination Selector quiz. My top score was as a Mennonite (much like the Quaker option, not really well represented here in Central Florida). My second score and Mike's top score? The denomination of our youth.

And all of this leaves me still confused. But also still determined. It is so important for all of us to be in a church, to be active and involved, to be learning and sharing. So we'll keep searching... and praying that God will lead us to where He would have us be.

[  posted by Chel on Thursday, August 24, 2006  ]
[   1 comments  ]


1 Comments:

Where I stand:

Christian Denomination Selector:
#1 Episcopal/Anglican
#2 Methodist/Weslyan
#3 Presbyterian USA (the church we attend)

Belief-o-Matic
100% Orthodox Quaker
87% Liberal Christian Protestant (PC-USA fits here)

Worked for me. :)

By Blogger Joshua G., at 10:34 AM  

Post a Comment