Chasing Contentment

Wednesday, August 16

My prayer throughout this job search process (even before we made the move) was that God would place me somewhere that He could use me to touch the lives of those around me. I have been beyond fortunate to always have been in an environment and a culture where Christianity and Christ were the norm rather than the exception. It has always been a blessing to me, and yet, for the last year or so I've felt this strong sense that I needed to be somewhere a little less comfortable for me in order for me to be used more.

When it comes to my work history, as with all of my relationships, I'm a long-termer. I've held one job since college, and I was there 14 years. I'm loyal. I like the stability of knowing an organization well. But when I arrived here and began looking for a job, I discovered that my having held only one job was a drawback not an asset. And I really had seen this move as an opportunity to do something different, to learn something new. But it seemed that I was pigeon-holed at 36. I had several people tell me that I really needed to stick with PR and not try to branch out too much, which was less than helpful.

On a lark one night at CareerBuilder.com, I applied for a position with a large, national company that has a regional office here in town. They contacted me the next day, and we began the interview process. I went through a series of interviews with different people in the company, and today, they offered me the job.

Is it my ideal job? No. But it will give me new things to learn, and it will certainly put me around a large group of people, giving me lots of opportunities to show Christ through my actions. I am terrified that I won't be able to actually do the job (which Mike says is me just being me), but I am also very excited about the opportunity to be used by God in this new venue. Another answered prayer.

[  posted by Chel on Wednesday, August 16, 2006  ]
[   4 comments  ]


4 Comments:

chel, that's great! i want to hear more detail (off blog of course.. don't want you "dooced" before you start ;) ).

By Blogger shoelessruth, at 3:11 AM  

YAY Chel! We're so happy for you. Of course, I was never concerned. I told you things were going to get better. ;)

By Blogger Joshua G., at 4:47 AM  

Yea - you got the job!! My sis just got a new job this week too - she starts Monday - so that is just one more thing you have in common :) And ironically you are also about the same age...and both love the Lord :) Whahoooo!!

Hoping you guys make a great connection :)

~Blessings and congrats on the job.

By Blogger Kimber, at 1:37 PM  

Congrats on the new job! I was hoping for a big corporation where I could be a testimony and where I could move up or over within the same company. I have moved around career-wise and have never had the chance to be promoted. Plus, I worked for my church, so lots of Christians there :) Now, I am working for a Christian non-profit company again. Not that I mind, but it wasn't what I thought I would find. I'm excited and nervous, too.

By Blogger Kat, at 3:40 PM  

Post a Comment