Chasing Contentment

Thursday, February 8

One of the things I love most about having a settled routine is knowing the landscape around me. I like noticing when little things change in the yards and business windows on my way to work or to the store or to wherever. I like that familiarity with a place.

(In our former hometown, on the way to the Target, there was this house with a fabulous Mary garden - very popular in the heavily-Catholic Louisiana - that changed all the time. I loved that garden. Mandy still sends me pictures of it sometimes.)

Anyway, on my way to and from work each day, I pass a gas station - convenience store. The owner lets people sell various junky stuff in the grassy area out front. And the junky stuff changes periodically, which intrigues me. Of late, someone's selling rugs. While that's not spectacularly interesting, they do have a sign that is fabulous.



Can you read the sign? "Buy rugs not drugs." As if someone on their way to buy drugs is going to see that sign and think, "Oh, my gosh, why didn't I think of that? If I just had a rug with Elvis on it, I wouldn't need that nickel bag."

It just seems like such an absurd suggestion to me that it cracks me up every time I pass it. I'll miss the drug sign when they move on and make way for the next bunch of junky stuff someone's trying to sell at the gas station. But it's nice to know that I've got favorite places to watch here in our new hometown.

[  posted by Chel on Thursday, February 08, 2007  ]
[   1 comments  ]


1 Comments:

Hehe . . .that's wonderful. What a great sign. I wonder how much biz it brings? I wonder if it's affected anyone's lives? Inquiring minds wanna know :)

By Blogger Unknown, at 10:23 AM  

Post a Comment