Chasing Contentment

Wednesday, April 4

I'm all excited about organizing the garage (I love a good organizational project!), and I keep thinking about what I'd like to see happen in that space and about what I can afford to have happen in that space and about how to make those two meet in the middle. I'm working on a plan.

But I must admit that as I think about it all, I keep having this nagging thought that I need to organize my life. In so many ways, even after we've been here all these months, I feel like I'm flying by the seat of my pants (and given that I'm currently wearing my VERY oldest and comfy-est jammie pants with the big holes in the leg, that's probably not a good way to operate).

More than feeling like I need a good plan to get all of the laundry done or the house picked up, though, I keep hearing over and over in my head that what really needs a good reorganizing, a good cleaning out is my spiritual life.

I'm a predictable girl (I'm not proud of it, but it's true). Just like when things are stressful, I fall into bad self-image patterns, when I stray from my patterns of spiritual renewal, I tend to just let things fall completely apart.

I'm an all-or-nothing girl. I either have a quiet time every day or never. I need to start new devotionals or studies on a Sunday or the first day of the month (it's no wonder Eliza seems to be a little OCD).

But in my heart, I know that if my relationship with God is like that of a parent and child or like that of a friend and a friend, He isn't going to demand perfection or constancy. He'd probably just like it if I showed up every now and again to spend some time at His feet.

I miss that time that I've spent with Him in His word. I miss being a part of a church family (no, even after all these months, we haven't found a church). And I know that adding both of those things to my life would make me feel calmer, more grounded, and more engaged in this community.

So I'm pledging here - to keep me accountable - that as I'm organizing the garage in the next 30 days, I'll also be organizing my spiritual life. I'll try to document my progress with both here.

[  posted by Chel on Wednesday, April 04, 2007  ]
[   1 comments  ]


1 Comments:

Best of luck to you, my dear!

By Blogger Unknown, at 9:47 AM  

Post a Comment