Chasing Contentment

Thursday, July 26

Two work-related thoughts for today...

I've been talking for months about how it's clear I'm going to have to make a choice in terms of my job. In order to be really good at it, I'm going to have to put in lots of extra hours. As it turns out, a conversation with a co-worker today showed me that I've already made my choice, and I chose to be a good mama rather than a good worker. I've never had to make that choice before, but I know it's the right one.

My co-worker said she's at the office early and that she stays late and she works every Sunday. She said her husband hates her and her daughter begs her not to go. She said her daughter has resorted to hiding her keys so she can't leave. And I can't do that. I know that in order to get promoted out of this particular wretched level in the company, I have to be a five (corporate lingo... we're graded monthly on a one to five scale).

I'm more of a three. A three won't get me promoted but it also saves me from getting fired. And as a three, I can leave and come home to my kids. And as a three, I can be a better mom than I could as a five. So I've apparently chosen - unconsciously - to be a three.

And... my pet peeve of the day ...
In my job, people lie to me. Routinely. And people yell at me. Routinely. I've gotten to the point where it doesn't much bother me anymore.

I've got this one case in which this particular client is being unreasonable. And at this point, I've figured out that if someone's being particularly unreasonable, they're probably lying to me. So, I called to speak with her and got her voicemail on which she quoted John 3:16. And that galls me. If you're going to put your Christianity out there in a public (preachy?) way, then all of your actions should back that up.

Now, I believe that we should all back up our faith with our actions regardless of whether or not we announce our faith. But if you're gonna push it, I think you should be able to show it, too.

So, that's my work observations of the week. (They sound better than "I hate my job," don't they?)

[  posted by Chel on Thursday, July 26, 2007  ]
[   2 comments  ]


2 Comments:

Hi, Chel -

It must be an epidemic. I posted about work troubles and realiging priorities this week too. Hang in there - you're not alone! Have a great weekend.

By Blogger Corinne, at 8:11 AM  

Loved reading this thank youu

By Anonymous Maria, at 4:53 PM  

Post a Comment