Chasing Contentment

Monday, August 13

Happy anniversary to us. Today, Mike and I have been married for 13 years. It's hard to believe, and yet, it also seems like it's been an instant (a sign of old age, I know).

This man is an absolute moron... routinely. And about half the time, he drives me batty. And I would be lost without him.

I have always said I married up, and I believe that to this day. And I am grateful beyond words that God saw fit to give the two of us to one another, knowing that we would complement one another, that we would make one another better.

In all honesty, I adore this man. He is smart and clever, and I do love a smart man. He's funny... I think that if I could laugh with him for the rest of my life, I wouldn't need anything else (except maybe new shoes and Starbucks... well, and chocolate, but still). He's a smart-ass, and I love the verbal sparring. Not arguing. We never argue or fight. But I love that back and forth teasing. I love the tenderness in the inside jokes and the knowledge of what makes each other laugh.

I loved Mike 13 years ago, but that love was nothing like it is today. We've been happy together, and we've shared sadness and loss. We've become parents and changed together through that. I like to think that in lots of ways, we've sacrificed for one another, loving one another.

The years have been kind to him. Age serves him well. He is calm and contented, centered in who he is and what he wants. He is stronger now than he was then. He takes my breath away. The boy that I fell in love with is this phenominal man that I fall in love with every day (ok, most days... some days are just moron-can't-get-the-trash-out days, but then, I've got witch-bought-too-many-new-shoes days).

This last year hasn't been easy, and there have been days, weeks, and admittedly months in which I felt so lost and adrift, alone, even. And yet, I'd take the worst of those days with Mike than the best of days without him.

I adore this man.

[  posted by Chel on Monday, August 13, 2007  ]
[   3 comments  ]


3 Comments:

What a sweet tribute to your husband. Hope you guys had a great time on your anniversary.

By Blogger Corinne, at 6:57 AM  

Happy Anniversary!:)
Lizzie

By Blogger A Dusty Frame, at 10:20 PM  

Hope you had a GREAT anniversary. Ain't being married the coolest thing?

By Blogger Bro. Craig, at 1:21 PM  

Post a Comment