Chasing Contentment

Thursday, August 23

I'm home today... took a vacation day to wait for the washing machine repair man. Turns out, it was two men and it took them two hours to fix it, but it's humming along happily now.



This was the culprit. Notice how the fork appears to be flipping me off. Figures. I haven't been able to use the washer for more than a week thanks to this obsene fork. Literally, the laundry is piled on the floor in my bedroom (yeah, that's right... it's mine. Mike gets to sleep there. I shared a bedroom for nine months my freshman year in college, and it didn't go well. ), and the laundry is knee deep in there.

But, I think this is karma giving me a mental health day. (I once had a friend who was a big advocate of the mental health day!) This is the first day since we moved here that I've been alone in the house all day. Now, sure, I've got a ton of things to do before I go get the kids in a few hours, but still... the music is mine, and the chai latte is cold, and I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy.

I've emailed with old friends, picked up the house, read a bit of the only parenting magazine I've ever liked (Cookie), and I've had a delightful conversation with Griff's school nurse, who was bright enough to immediately follow her introduction with, "it's not an emergency call." Smart lady.

And so, I'm going to go celebrate Laundry Fork Day with some bagel bites...some of my favorite junky food.

[  posted by Chel on Thursday, August 23, 2007  ]
[   4 comments  ]


4 Comments:

SO glad you had a good day. That fork is kinda funny. At least that was all it was. And Cookie . . . my favorite. I LOVE it. You definitely need to make this an annual event. I might even take part in Laundry Fork Day in future years :)

By Blogger Unknown, at 12:25 PM  

Maybe we'll do annual Laundry Fork Day without the fork. :) But I do think a day off the first week of school for moms is a fabulous idea. I had a really good day, and I got both of the kids from their schools/aftercare early. We're going to finish homework and then read some books.

By Blogger Chel, at 12:44 PM  

Sounds like a great day. I'm a big proponent of the mental health day!

By Blogger Corinne, at 8:46 PM  

I am a fan of the mental health day. I take them myself from time to time. I have to ask though. How did a fork end up in the washer? I thought I was the only one who could pull off something like that. Oh wait, okay, yeah, you could too. I remember why we are friends! Love ya!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:03 AM  

Post a Comment