Chasing Contentment

Sunday, August 19

Tomorrow, Griff will start his second new school in two years. We bought our home in this particular neighborhood based entirely upon it being zoned for a good school. And last year, our neighborhood was rezoned.

Before we moved, Griff attended an academic magnet school where all of the kids were smart. If everyone is smart, no one can really be singled out as a nerd or a dork or a whatever simply for being smart. If anything, it was the other way around... the kids talked about the kids who weren't doing as well.

Griff will talk to just anyone, but he's always just had one best friend. And leaving his friend, Will, was really hard for him. He missed having that familiar face, that comforting presence at school last year.


The poor kid... when I think about all that he had to endure last fall, it breaks my heart. He left his best friend, his home and all that was comfortable to him, and he had to make the transition from a very structured, intense magnet school to a general public school where the teacher had to teach to a group of students with vastly different learning paces and knowledge levels.

Because it was a hard year for him last year in which he never really felt completely comfortable, he's really worried about this new school year. The poor thing came in not long ago in tears (which rarely happens these days) about having to go to school tomorrow.

He's worried he won't make friends. He's worried they'll actually do work tomorrow and that he won't be able to do the work. He's just generally feeling insecure and uncertain.

And I wish I could somehow take that pain away from him... snap my fingers and magically make a friend appear for him... find some way to convince him of how delightful he really is... to assure him that even if he is a nerd, nerds often turn out really well as grownups.

Griff and I have formed a bond of sorts in this move as it has been hardest on him and me, and we have shared special times as we both cried and longed for something different. It is nearly impossible for me to hold him as he cries and not cry myself. I wonder if our Heavenly Father is crying with us as we cry.

If He is, I'm hoping some of those tears are tears of joy as He already knows the friends He has for Griff.

[  posted by Chel on Sunday, August 19, 2007  ]
[   2 comments  ]


2 Comments:

I hope his first day went well. I chnaged secondary school three times- but God took me to the place that was best for me....just along a bumpy road :)

By Blogger Susanna, at 9:09 AM  

I can't imagine how hard it would be as a mommy to see your child sad and upset about starting school. Hang in there . . . both of you. I will be thinking of you. God has good things in store for all of you!!!! xo

By Blogger Unknown, at 8:01 AM  

Post a Comment