Chasing Contentment

Sunday, October 28

How does one go about finding a new church? We've been here for 16 months and still haven't found a church home. And we really need to be in a church, for a vast variety of reasons.

But we are, admittedly, at a complete loss as to how to find a church to attend. Mike and I both attended the Southern Baptist churches of our parents' selection when we were children.

And then, in college, I'm not even sure my roommate and I even visited any other churches... we just went to one. It had a large college group, and I was nurtured spiritually like I hadn't been before. Mike, on the other hand, was a confirmed church hopper in college. Now, he was somewhere every Sunday morning, but no where in particular.

When I moved to Louisiana, I selected my church there on less than thoughtful terms. The church I attended had a historic sanctuary full of huge, gorgeous stained glass windows. I was in a new state, alone for the first time ever, and sitting in those pews on Sunday mornings filled me with peace and contentment. The people were friendly, and I felt safe and secure there. And when Mike and I started dating, he started attending there.

We were married in that church and both of our children were dedicated there. Griff was baptized there, and Mike was ordained a deacon there. And it wasn't the perfect church by any means. There were plenty of things that we didn't agree with or prefer. But it was home.

And now we just have no clue about how to find a new home.

[  posted by Chel on Sunday, October 28, 2007  ]
[   4 comments  ]


4 Comments:

When I decided that it was time to change churches, that was the first time that I really dug into what I believe and why; before that I simply followed my family or my husband.

When I was on my own, I wanted to know which denomination was the best fit for what I believe is Biblical. That ruled out a lot.

My boyfriend is in California right now and it's terrible there. It's either fluff bunny central or WOF/pentecostal.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:50 PM  

You're in my prayers... I know how hard that can be :)................................................ just keep looking.. and praying.. it will come.

By Blogger Unknown, at 7:46 PM  

Hi Chel . . . just wanted to tell you I'm thinking of you during this journey. It can be hard. We are kinda right there with ya. I think it can be one of the hardest things. It's like inviting yourself to Thanksgiving dinner. You hate to do it and it seems so impersonal (and a little intrusive) but the family is always happy to have you there. I hope you find your "family". I hope we do also.

By Blogger Unknown, at 12:37 PM  

A place where the Bible is preached and at least more people are trying to practice what the Bible teaches than not. That is all that can be asked for these days. I may be dreaming and wishing and hoping, but if you can find a place where the people are open to growing in Christ and seeking to live like Him, then you may have found a home church to call yours.

By Blogger Bro. Craig, at 8:03 PM  

Post a Comment