Chasing Contentment

Sunday, November 25

In the final phase of my Christmas Plan, I work on the gifts. Each year, I do this a bit differently, but, I believe that's the beauty of my plan... with a little tweaking each year, it's fully functional.

Chel's Holiday Plan - The Gifts
Every year, the first thing I need is a list. I want a list where I can write down every single person - teachers included - for whom I'll need gifts. Here's how I do it...

1) Make a list of everyone. Just everyone possible. Better to start big and cross people off than forget someone.

2) Decide who will get hand-made gifts and who won't. Consider each recipient's wishes. I want gifts to be about the recipient not about the giver (the rare occasion when I don't want things to be all about me).

3) As I complete or purchase each gift, I put a check mark by that name, until I've completed all of the gifts.

4) If I'm making gifts, I do all of the gift making the same way I would do the card making, set aside an amount of time and work during that time and then stop. Even if I'm not finished. If I need several blocks of time, fine. But I limit myself, so I don't get too overwhelmed by it all.

5) Make a list of everything needed for wrapping and such (paper, tape, bows, bags, cards, anything) and do all of that shopping at once. Take an hour and do just that stuff. And then, it's all done and available when I want it.

6) Do the wrapping in sessions, too, so it's less overwhelming.

With the list, I make a second list of all gifts that need to be mailed (we've got lots of family in other states - even more now that we're in Florida). I plan to purchase or make those gifts first, so they can be wrapped and in the mail by mid-December, in plenty of time for a Christmas arrival.

If you use my list and like it, please let me know. :)

[  posted by Chel on Sunday, November 25, 2007  ]
[   0 comments  ]


0 Comments:

Post a Comment