Chasing Contentment

Wednesday, March 19

I like to post birthday wishes to special people on their special days. Unfortunately, I have six special people in the first 10 days of March, and I worked non-stop during those days. I managed to get Stacy's post up, but after that, all of my good intentions didn't add up to much.

So here's my much-belated birthday wishes to some really fabulous people... in a very particular order.

Donna (or Grannie D as the kids call her) married into our family, and much like Griff, Mike and I didn't realize we needed an Eliza, I think Mike's family needed a Grannie D, even if we didn't realize it at the time.

Mike's mom, Lillie (for whom Eliza is named), had MS and was frail for as long as I knew her. Mike's dad, Jerry (who gets some birthday love here himself), cared for Lillie in such a manner... I cannot imagine the sacrifices he made, and yet, he always seemed to view the life he led not as a sacrifice. He will forever be, in my mind at least, the perfect example of selfless love and marital devotion. He put a face on God's love in the way that he cared for Lillie.

Lillie passed away when Griff was two. And Jerry was alone and adrift after that. And he was blessed when God brought Donna into his life. Like all new relationships, we had to adjust to the idea of Jerry with someone else, but once we got to know Donna, we were able to see just how lovely she is. And she makes Jerry so happy, and I cannot imagine anyone who deserves to be happy more than he does.


And so my happy birthday wishes and my love to both of them.

My brother, John, is the golden child in our family. Now, I'm sure he'll wince and shake his head when he reads this, but he is. And it's hard to deny. He's pretty fabulous. He's kind and generous and supportive and encouraging. If you need someone to help, he's there. And I'm pretty sure all of those really super qualities are the reason he scored as the super hero he did, though we'll give him a hard time about it, without a doubt.

John married a precious woman who had a son from a previous marriage, and again, like we needed Eliza, John needed Zachary. Our whole family did, quite frankly. He's quiet and timid and slow to warm up to people. Which is completely different from my know-everyone children. But once you earn his trust, he's got this little giggle that is just completely captivating. And while we don't see any of them nearly enough, they are deeply snuggled in our hearts.



And last but sooo not least, my grandmother. Meemaw and Zachary share a birthday, so it's twice the fun there on the 10th (at least that's what I hear when she mentions that we never come home). I've been blessed to have grandparents who were young enough when I was born to spend lots and lots and lots of time with me. And who are able now to spend time with my children and with Zachary. Mike didn't know some of his grandparents, and so my family was a bit of a surprise when I brought four grandparents to the marriage. We've lost two of them, and we're even more grateful now for the two living grandparents we have.



So, happy birthday to all of you. My life is richer and fuller and more wonderful because of each of you.

[  posted by Chel on Wednesday, March 19, 2008  ]
[   3 comments  ]


3 Comments:

Happy Birthday to all those who have helped mold the Trices into the family we love and consider our family. Happy Birthday to all from the Goodnights -- Mandy, Joshua and Olivia.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:39 PM  

Aw. How wonderful. My birthday is tomorrow!!

I just tagged you if you feel like playing along. You can find it on my blog.

Have a very blessed EASTER.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:15 AM  

That is so sweet, Chel. March is a great month. I love how alike we March-ies are. I tend to have good bonds with 'em. Happy Birthday to the fabulous people in your lives. Your lives are so blessed!

(I still love that pic of Eliza and Meemaw.)

By Blogger Unknown, at 1:50 PM  

Post a Comment