Chasing Contentment

Saturday, October 7

Happy Birthday, dearest Eliza.

How quickly these three years have passed. I am awestruck when I see you sometimes... the very fact that you are alive and well and that I am alive and well to see you... it is humbling.

I got an email yesterday from my friend, Linda, wishing you a happy birthday and me a happy surviving day. I know that when you get older, you'll hear the story of how your birthday came to coincide with your grandfather's instead of with Josh's seven weeks later. I'm sure you'll know that in the midst of our struggles, I knew that Mandy and Josh were taking care of Griffin, that he was cared for in the most perfect way possible.

You'll know that each year on your birthday, I send a chocolate yummy to the doctor who saved our lives (it seems fitting that this year Mandy delivered the thank you gift for the first time... the first time we're in this new home... the first time Mandy's trusting this doctor to care for her little girl).

On your first birthday, we were relieved that you were progressing well. On your second birthday, we were delighted with your spirit and independence. Today, you are amazing.

You drive me crazy, push me to my limits, challenge me to be more patient, more creative, more aware of my world. You remind me of the great things about me and your dad and your brother. I see in you aspects of me that are both great and annoying. I promise to strive to encourage the great aspects and to try to tone down those annoying aspects.

Today, we celebrate you, little lady. But we also celebrate me. Because today is the anniversary of the day I didn't die. And I am grateful to God in ways that are too numerous to count for the opportunity to still be here for you, for your dad and brother, for those dear friends without whom I wouldn't be who I am today.

Happy Birthday.

[  posted by Chel on Saturday, October 07, 2006  ]
[   1 comments  ]


1 Comments:

This is a beautiful post Chel.
I'm a bit late but I'd like to say Happy Birthday Eliza! And all the best to you too. I'm very moved reading this - it is so full of love, gratitude and reality.

By Blogger Catez, at 9:15 PM  

Post a Comment